The Detective Bureau is responsible for investigating all criminal offenses occurring in or reported to the Bloomfield Police Department. In addition to criminal investigations, the Detective Bureau also is responsible for all:
- Alcohol Licensing Investigations
- Firearms investigations and licensing permits
- Gathering and dissemination of criminal intelligence
- Tracking of sex offenders (Megan’s Law registrants) living in and/or working within the Township.
The Bureau is currently comprised of 1 Captain, 3 Lieutenants, and 22 Detectives. Each case received by the Bureau is evaluated by the Detective Supervisors and assigned to detectives for investigation accordingly.
The Detective Bureau investigates such crimes as:
- Sale of narcotics
- Sexual assault
Members of the Detective Bureau receive ongoing specialized training in various concepts and tactics including advanced interview and interrogation, anti-terrorism training, hostage negotiations, and crime scene analysis, to name a few.
Crime Scene Unit (CSU)
The Bloomfield Police Department Crime Scene Unit (CSU), comprised of four detectives, works out of the Detective Bureau and is tasked with responding to crime scenes and gathering vital evidence necessary for criminal investigations.
Currently 6 members of the Detective Bureau are assigned to outside agencies; these agencies include:
- The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
- The Essex County Prosecutors Office Major Crime Unit
- The Essex County Prosecutor’s Narcotics Task Force (NTF)
- The Essex County Sheriff’s Department Bureau of Narcotics (BON)
- The New Jersey State Police Auto Theft Task Force (ATTF)
- The Real-Time Crime Center (RTTC) located in Newark, New Jersey and staffed by officers from various jurisdictions including State and Federal agencies.